Thursday, March 02, 2006

cry

Studying midwifery in a country where abortion is legal during the first 14 weeks of pregnancy, you are expected to visit an abortion clinic. I did today. It was awful. They don't tell you that it's awful. They say that 1 in 5 women here will at some point before they reach the age of 50 choose for such a procedure. I hope that's not true. I fear it will be true.

It is just too easy, even though you are sent home after some counselling for a 6 day consideration period. They say people are against it, until they need it. The law states that a woman must find herself in an emergency situation, for her to be allowed an abortion. However, this is not specified and so she has the right to decide whether her situation is an emergency.

The rights of women are protected somehow. The rights of a new life, not yet able to stand up for itself, are not. The people I met working at the abortion clinic, are glad to work there. Their job is one with variety and regular hours and women are thankful for their support. They value their work and some say it is "addictive" (the way helping people can be addictive). They don't seem to think about the children that die under their hands...they are not yet children, they are called "unplanned pregnancies". They will never have the chance to become children. We kill them before we can recognize their shapes. Or else we do it with our eyes closed.

I cried my eyes out thinking about where I've been today. I bet God cried more...He created. The price of a child - that is, for a woman to get rid of it - is twice €1.45 (as she must have two appointments). Life has become cheap, don't you think?

6 comments:

Luke said...

i wanted to write something in response to this, but couldn't think of anything to say.

it is strange that you write this up now, as I've actually been thinking more about abortion lately. We had a swedish guy present in our church about a year ago on abortion and how they are fighting against it, and since then it has been a recurring ponderance in my mind.

I'm glad you wrote what you did. It's a horrible issue.

ShackelMom said...

I came to your blog because Luke sent me, and I am glad I did. Thank you for writing about what you have seen. I cannot imagine how a woman who has had a child could go through with doing away with one, but I know it happens all the time. Please don't ever forget what you saw in that place. If you can save just one woman from taking the life of her child, it will be worth the tears.

I hope you keep writing!

annegreet said...

So people in the Philippines are reading this now? It gets out of hand fast! Thanks for the encouragement... (c; Actually, I do understand and can't judge the girl who sees no other way out than abortion (who even chooses to believe people who tell her she's not throwing away a child). Without Christ in my life I might've been in her place long ago. It's harder to understand the christians who don't offer alternatives and who seem to have accepted this. I had to ask God for forgiveness this past week, because I myself am too laid back. I will try hard not to forget...

annegreet said...

Thinking about it, I had to realize that life isn't as cheap as they make it seem. See, as the Son of God opened his arms to welcome every child that would come to Him, nails were hammered through His hands. And so He paid with His life. It is a painful side to abortion that He had to die also for these chosen trespasses of ours, but it is most hopeful to know there is forgiveness at the cross...and life.

Anonymous said...

Those really are some staggering numbers you quote there...
1 out of 5...
A mere 3 euros...

annegreet said...

True, and I found it hard to believe the 1 out of 5, until I heard an English report that it's 1 out of 3 there.
Also, considering the many different reasons women have for choosing abortion, makes it seem less unlikely.
Hard to prove such figures, but people don't go around saying: "Oh, I had an abortion last week."